The QuestionnaireMay 5, 2010
Save Louisville is sending this questionnaire to every urban planning professor in the United States. All responses will be published on this website. If you have a background in urban planning or a just a keen interest in these issues please send responses to 1 or more questions at firstname.lastname@example.org Please include your name, professional background, and contact information. Your efforts toward preventing the biggest urban planning mistake of the 21st century are greatly appreciated.
1) Will the downtown portion of the Ohio River Bridges Project have a positive impact on Louisville’s long-range economic health?
2) In comparison to the current downtown ORBP, would a context sensitive, partially capped at-grade parkway, interstate or not, enhance the city’s economic prospects and image.
3) Is the entire Ohio River Bridges Project a fiscally prudent plan?
4) Do you think the I-265 east end bridge will absorb a substantial amount of the cross river traffic? What if it is the only bridge with tolls?
5) Based on the growth in traffic volume is the current design of the downtown ORBP justified? In conjunction with an east end by-pass bridge, would 1 or more local access bridges downtown eliminate the need for a second interstate bridge downtown.
6) Does the problem that the ORBP attempts to solve justify tolling existing infrastructure?
7) What effects will tolling have on the local economy and traffic patterns?
8) Is license plate picture capture tolling a realistic plan? What are the collection rates for this technology?
9) Do you expect this project to come in on budget? Do you have a guess as to the total price tag of this project?
10) Is there precedent for altering a major piece of infrastructure after the record of decision has been given by the federal government?